Text of the ERC chairman Dr. Hla Kyaw
1. There is no doubt that Myanmar has committed war crimes, crimes against humanity, and crimes of all crimes genocide.
2. To me, the bringing of Aung San Suu Kyi into power is by design by the military so that the military can finish the “Unfinish Job” as put by General Min Aung Hlaing. The military calculated that the International community would believe what Aung San Suu Kyi says and they can finish their job of the destruction of the whole community. There has never been persecution of Rohingya to such extend than under Aung San Suu Kyi’s watch.
3. As mentioned by previous speakers, Myanmar’s genocide against Rohingya is at least 30 years old. UN is aware of this genocide long before any one else. UN agencies are present in Rakhine State a very long time ago. International Diplomats Community is aware of this very long time ago. One by one, the diplomats have been traveling to Rohingya refugee camps, witnessing horrors Rohingya have been enduring. Yet they failed just because of their strategic and geological interests. Many Rohingya start feeling that if we were not Muslim, the West would intervene long before. How on earth Rohingya are persecuted in such scale in this 21st century. It is really unbelievable.
4. As I mentioned earlier, International Diplomats Community is aware of this very long time ago. One by one, the diplomats have been traveling to Rohingya refugee camps, witnessing horrors Rohingya have been enduring. We start to feel that Rohingya refugee camps are like human zoo for amusement.
5. Myanmar has PhDs in deceiving International Community. Please don’t believe the Myanmar military.
6. Again on behalf of my community, I would like to appeal to you and all who are watching online to please intervene and to do everything possible to bring peace to Rohingya.
7. What can be done:
a. Mobilizing humanitarian aid before monsoon comes that brings another devastation to Rohingya (urgent).
b. Establishing a Centre to Study and Document Genocide of Rohingya
c. Help building our community again from every aspect of life because Myanmar has destroyed us.
d. Bringing genocide perpetrators into ICC
e. To have a protected homeland in our ancestral land so that we can leave in peace.
8. Thank you.